Saturday, February 13, 2010

When superstitions get reinforced...

 When superstitions get reinforced...



It was the 5th of Feb 2010 and I was to see off my better half to the station; she was to leave for Hyderabad post noon to attend her sister’s wedding. As I needed to be mobile, I planned to ride my bike to the rail station alongside the auto.

I started a few seconds after the auto left and thus raced to catch up. But even after a good 3 miles, I could not spot the auto, and lot of things went through my mind as to whether I had missed them or was it that there was another route to the station.

Whatever the reason, I could not spot them and this worried me to no end, thus I raced with a heightened anxiety. I over sped many vehicles on this small road leading to the Lakshmisagar chowk, and was about to cross a speeding biker when a grey spotted tom cat crossed the biker’s path. This guy slowed down, enough to cross his shoulders, so as to prevent any mishappening from occurring; this is when I stepped on the brake and let the biker stay ahead.

Was it that the same superstition played on my mind or was it just that I realised that I was speeding and needed to slow down; whatever thoughts occurred that day, did manage to save the day for me. A few seconds later, a large black car appeared out of a side lane and the biker ahead of me was hit.

His bike skidded a few meters before coming to a halt. This was terrible and incomprehensible. Thankfully this guy was not hurt much and before there could be a conflict, I intercepted, making both the parties involved realise that the day was saved and that it could have been worse.

And guess what, all that racing was just a futile act and an outcome of irrational thinking. My wife arrived a few minutes after I reached the station, citing reason that they had to turn back as she realised that she was not carrying her cell phone.

So when such a thing as this occurs in your life, don’t bother about the superstition, but do stop & check yourself, as to, are you speeding or is there something that could have been done better and surely like me, you’ll all be much wiser.

No comments: